Sunday, November 9, 2008

Movember - Week Two

Here I am, in all my manly glory! It's week two of Movember and my facial hair is coming back in nicely. In a previous post I talked about how I was growing my facial hair during the month of November to raise awareness about autism, so this week I thought I would share some more facts with you. More children will be diagnosed with autism this year than cancer, diabetes, and AIDS combined. Despite this, autism research is drastically underfunded while the costs of autism spectrum disorders (over $35 billion dollars a year) are constantly increasing. You may be thinking, "Whoa! That's too big a problem for me!," and you're right! But together we can educate one another about autism, encourage our representatives to increase autism research funding, and pray for those suffering from this range of disorders (both those directly affected by autism and those who care for them). For more information, check out this fact sheet at the Autism Speaks website.

No comments: