Sunday, September 13, 2009

The Big 3-0

Matthew's 30th birthday was on Thursday, September 10. Seeing as he needed to diligently work on his dissertation proposal that's due next week and I had to go into work, we decided to celebrate on Friday (I don't work on Fridays). Thursday night, we did get to go out to one of Matt's favorite restaurants, Cabrerra's, for some yummy Mexican food, then back to the apartment for his birthday cake. I'd made a strawberry cheesecake just for him! Unfortunately, I got home from work quite late, so we ate dinner instead of watching the NFL season kick-off game (or whatever you football aficionados call the first game of the season). On Friday, Matthew got to sleep in until 7 am, then he had to do some dissertation work for several hours. He told me that we could start the celebration after lunch. He loves McDonald's, so we ate Mickey D's takeout for lunch to enable him to get a little extra work in. Then it was off to birthday fun...

We got a much-needed couple's massage at Z Med Spa in LA. Then we drove down to Santa Monica. Matthew said that all he really wanted to do for his birthday was watch the sun set over the water. We ate at a yummy Italian place, Fritto Misto. DELICIOUS! They treated us very well, I must say. Then we walked to the Santa Monica pier, just in time for sunset. We took some pictures on the pier. I'd read about this cool free thing they are currently doing at the pier, so my wonderful friend Mahala had gotten me tickets. I was so excited to take Matthew to a pier showing of his favorite movie...The Princess Bride!!

It was a beautiful evening, nice and relaxing! Nothing extravagant, but something I knew he'd enjoy. Happy birthday, dear! You work so hard and do so much for our family. You deserve much more relaxation. Thank you for your dedication to your work, your calling, your ministry, and your family. I hope you had a great 30th birthday!! I love love love love love love love you.

4 comments:

Clay said...

he's 30???????? sheeesh...what does that make me then?

The Myers said...

Awe, how fun! I Love "The Princess Bride". And watching it on the beach? Can you get much better than that? So glad you had a fun 30th B-Day Matthew.

Patrick G. McCullough said...

That sounds great. Happy Birthday, Matt! And blessings to you as you bang that proposal out!

Brett and Erin said...

What a great birthday-- it sounds like you both had a wonderful day-