Sunday, April 12, 2009

The Perils of Blogging

I’m not great at blogging. In fact, I right out stink at blogging. If you haven’t noticed, I haven’t blogged in the better part of 2 ½ months. Why, you ask? Well there are several reasons.
  • I got a blog in an attempt to update others on our exciting life in Southern California and Matthew wanted a spot to possibly write devotionals. We are far away from many of our long-time friends and family and thought they may like to know what is going on. My thought was that just because we don’t have kids or or plan to in the next decade or have the capability to purchase a house in LA doesn’t mean that we don’t have stuff to share. While I completely realize that our lives are fun and we have lots to share, I realized that (1) people have better things to do than read about my life when they have theirs to live; (2) I don’t really have anything read-worthy. If I do, I can sum it up in just a few sentences rather than waste time on the home computer trying to find pictures to match the entry (I usually have more access to my work laptop, onto which I do not load pictures).
  • I have an insanely busy lifestyle which makes it hard to get on the computer to write a blog that I don’t think many people will read. This is not a pity party, but it’s just what my mind experiences when I think about writing a blog. I realize that others are also busy, but a regular 8-5 job does help with attempts at blogging. If a reader is interested, I get up at 5 am , work out, get ready for work, sit in traffic for an hour, work from 8-7 (usually through my lunch hour as well), drive home and sit in traffic for an hour. Usually after work I have something else I need to do, such as attend Bible study (7:30- 9:00 pm); teach one of my parent education classes (7:00-10:30pm); or spend time with my husband. Lately, I’ve also had to do 3-4 hours of work at home after putting in my 10 hours at the clinic. Matt has a similiarly busy schedule, while it’s more flexible yet just as full. Am I complaining about this life we have chosen and been blessed with? Certainly not. I’m just frustrated that many of those around us don’t understand this life and rather think that I’m lazy and just a weenie blogger.
  • What could I possibly have to say in a blog that others would find beneficial? My thought is that if people really want to know about my life or my thoughts, they will ask; it’s not my job to bore unwilling readers who may just stumble on my blog.

    Anyone who has gotten this far in this unraveling of ventation, is likely thinking that I’m the dullest, most frustrating blogger out there. When I created our blog profile, Matt told me that if I ever felt obligated to blog or that I HAD to do a blog, I needed to take a break and not blog for a while. He emphasized that blogging in not a chore, but something to be utilized to share and used as a community building experience. I love blogging, and I hope to be a better blogger, but this is because I like to think that I have enough to share with others that may be interesting or insightful. Again, I’m not throwing a pity party for myself, just venting to the entire web-based population about the stressors some of us bloggers feel.

    For those of you who are interested in the past 2 ½ months, here’s a rundown:
  • 2/1/09: Achieved a personal record at the Surf City Half Marathon in Huntington Beach, CA
  • 2/27-3/1/09: Traveled to Abilene, TX for Sigma Alpha Pledge Class 11 reunion. It was fabulous and I uncharacteristically did not take a single picture!
  • 3/4-3/16/09: Matt took his 1 oral comprehensive exam and 4 written comprehensive exams in order to transition to the next stage of his doctoral program
  • 3/22/09: Helped my friend Hai complete his first half marathon at the Pasadena Half Marathon. It was cold and rainy and we had a great time! Based on my experience in this run, I have decided to train for a full marathon in the fall.
  • 3/27/09: I turned 29 years old. For my birthday, Matt found out that he passed all his comps and is now officially a doctoral candidate!! He will work on his dissertation proposal this quarter.
  • 3/27-3/31/09: 3-day birthday cruise to Ensanada, Mexico. We had a great time and the weather was delightfully chilly!
  • 4/5-4/12/09: Observed wonderful experiences for Holy Week. We kicked off Lent with Ash Wednesday and have been observing Lent since 2/25/09. It got to culminate with Holy Week in a great Maundy Thursday home service, which Matthew did a wonderful job; Good Friday service; a lovely Easter vigil on Saturday; participating in the 24-hour prayer room; a beautiful Easter service; and a lovely Easter brunch with friends. I love this experience of Holy Week rather than just observing Resurrection Sunday. I find that everything seems to have more meaning to me.

    And there you go. Not only are you caught up on the last 2 ½ months of the Barnes life, but you are also WAY more ingulfed in the thoughts of Alida than you thought possible. Blessings and peace, until the next time…

No comments: